Thursday 18 June 2009

MD5 Authentication for RIPV2

Wow I think today has been by far the most active on my blog, trying to make up for lost time I guess :)

Anyway RIP authentication is perhaps the easiest of all to get going, however during setting up the lab it gave me the most trouble.

Cisco lists 3 requirements for getting RIP authentication working they are:

* Key-string
* Key number
* Authentication mode

However I would like to add a fourth (at least for my IOS) and that is that the key chain needed to be defined before being included in the "ip rip authentication key-chain RIP_KEY"

So there is the config R1:
1) Key Chain

key chain RIP_KEY
key 1
key-string ripme


2) RIP Authentication on the Interface:

ip rip authentication mode md5
ip rip authentication key-chain RIP_KEY


R5
1) Key Chain

key chain RIP_KEY
key 1
key-string ripme


2) RIP Authentication on the Interface:


ip rip authentication mode md5
ip rip authentication key-chain RIP_KEY

No comments: